Causes, Symptoms and Treatment for Vaginitis
Vaginitis (vulvoviginitis) is termed as swelling, burning, itching or infection in the vagina (muscular canal from cervix to outside of body) caused by different germs. Discharge flows from the vagina daily as the Body’s way of maintaining a normal healthy environment. Normally clear or milky discharge is produced without malodor. There may be change in color, smell, amount or burning & itching due to bacterial imbalance of healthy bacteria, leading to vaginitis.
Causes of Vaginitis:
Vaginitis may be caused by
- Bacterial vaginosis
- Fungus (Candida albicans)
- Trichomonas’s (caused by a parasitic protozoa called Trichomonas vaginalis)
Poor estrogen support of vagina leads to vaginitis; usually found in postmenopausal women & sometimes in young girls before puberty.
Condoms, spermicides, soaps, perfumes, douches, lubricants, and semen can cause allergic vaginitis.
Sign & Symptoms of Vaginitis:
- Inflammation (swelling, irritation &redness due to presence of extra immune cells)
- Irritation with sexual intercourse
- Vaginal discharge
- Foul vaginal smell
How is vaginitis Diagnosed?
Vaginitis is diagnosed by checking
- vaginal fluid appearance
- vaginal pH levels
- presence of volatile amines (the gas that causes a bad smell)
- microscopic detection
Type of treatment depends upon cause of infection.
- Oral antifungals, antibiotics or topical (applied on skin) antibacterial creams.
- In case of severe irritation symptoms Cristone cream is prescribed.
- Antihistamine is prescribed in case of inflammation caused by an allergic reaction.
- Estrogen cream is recommended if the vaginitis was caused by low estrogen levels.
- Sometimes treatment is recommended to restore vaginal flora( after treatment of infection) that has significant implications for a woman's overall health .
Herbal treatment for Bacterial vaginitis:
This herb known as great immunity booster, intake during fungal or bacterial infection stimulates immune response against infectious agents. This herb contains polysaccharides and different chemicals having specific actions.
Recommended dose: 500-1000 mg capsules
This herb must be avoided in allergic conditions.
Aloe Vera gel is not a cure of bacterial vaginitis; it relieves the itching associated with bacterial vaginitis. This immediately stops itching and provide relief.
Tea tree oil:
Tea tree oil helps to reduce bacterial action in vagina and remove the infection. Take tea tree oil and mix it with water to reduce its severity, apply inside vagina to control the bacterial multiplication and remove inflammation.
It is beneficial & effective treatment method for bacterial vaginitis. Garlic oil or infusions can be used for application & rinsing of vagina resp.
Recommended dose: 4-5 garlic cloves/day or as infusion.
Prevention of vaginitis:
- Rinse vaginal area daily and pat dry.
- Wipe your vagina and anus from front to back.
- Don’t douche; this can upset the natural balance of the vagina.
- Use antibiotics only when needed, as they can kill “good” bacteria.
- Use cotton-lined underpants.
- Don’t wear tight pants.
- See your healthcare provider if you have any unusual discharge or smell